Wednesdays are pretty much my favorite days of the week. Mondays are terrible, Tuesdays might possibly be the WORST day of the week, but Mr. Wednesday…you are the day of my dreams! Why, you ask…
#1 This little guy greeted me on my way to the car…
Let’s hope he makes it!
#2 I get to teach AM spin class AND that means I go into work a bit later than usual AND it’s hump day, which really means 1 more day until Happy Friday!
#3 I love the way it’s spelled…seriously Wed-NES-day… it’s like the red-headed step-child of days of the week, and being a partial red-head I love it
#4 Because I workout in the AM on Wednesdays that means I have the night free to hang out with friends, cook, and catch up on things (a-hem…aka this blog)
I could go on and on, but I digress… I LOVE WEDNESDAYS
It also means I usually have time to make a pretty amazing post-workout lunch (oh the joys of living where you work). Today I made a fiesta salad as my #powerbowladay…
with mixed greens, yellow and orange peppers, tomatoes, salsa, jalopenos, and I crumbled up one of these amazing 3-bean vegan, GF, DF veggie burgers on top (they’re seriously so good!)
A friend gave me her recipe, which she modified from a Food Network one to make it vegan. I further cannibalized it a bit to make it GF… deconstructivist cuisine at its finest? You decide…
3-Bean Vegan Veggie Burgers
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil (get 1 TBSP in a saute pan and heat it up)
- 1/4 C diced red bell peppers (you could use tri-color to make a rainbow!)
- 1/4 C diced jalopenos (I used jarred)
- 1/4 C diced marinated artichoke heart (again I used jarred)
- 1/4 C diced black olives
- 1 15oz can white beans (any kind… I used cannellini beans), drained
- 1 15oz can black beans, drained
- 1 15oz can chick peas (aka garbonzo beans), drained
- 1.5 C oats
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 C minced fresh parsley leaves
- 2 teaspoons red chili flakes
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- salt to taste (or add Bragg’s Aminos!)
- 2 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs (to make mine GF I pulsed oats in a food processor and used them instead)
- 2 eggs (my friend used a little bit of applesauce in hers and I opted for flaxseed eggs in order to make it vegan)
- EVOO or your fave oil/PAM/etc to cook the burgers
1. Add all of your diced veggies to the heated oil (beans are not veggies FYI).
2. Mix up your flax eggs and make your oat flour if you’re going the GF/Vegan route.
3. Decide if you want chunky, smooth, or somewhere in limbo veggie burgers (I prefer the limbo stage)…
Chunky: simply stir all the ingredients together, form patties, and chill for 30min before cooking.
Smooth: Pulse the beans in a food processor (you may need to add a bit of water to get things working). Add in the veggies and pulse a few more times. At this point transfer everything to another bowl, add all your spices, oats, etc and mix thoroughly (Note: the smooth option means things get sticky and they are thin burgers. Also, you may need to add a bit more oats to make things work together). Form into patties allow to chill for 30min and then cook away!
Limbo: Pulse the beans until roughly chopped. Add them to a separate bowl with your veggies, spices, oats, and the rest of the ingredients. Form patties, allow to chill for 30min, and then cook.
Let me know if you try them out since it’s still a work in progress!