I love football (even though the Steelers aren’t doing so great this season…sigh). I also love witty football commercials. And this one, this happens to be one of my faves…
It’s actually pronounced “keen-wah” but hey that’s close enough. What’s more important is that it doesn’t (or at least doesn’t have to) taste a dirty tree branch! I make a delicious quinoa salad that I thought I’d share since it makes an awesome dish for potlucks and parties (and umm in case you forgot party season is upon us!) So without further ado…
Italian Roasted Tomato Quinoa Salad
Delicious quinoa salad! If you leave out the parm cheese it’s also a dairy free/vegan recipe!
- 1C dry quinoa (any kind) rinsed thoroughly… if you don’t rinse quinoa it will taste nast-teeeee
- 2C water (or chicken/veg broth if you want it to be extra tasty)
- Approx 4C grape or cherry tomatoes… really any tomatoes would work
- 3 cloves of fresh garlic (peeled, smashes, and roughly chopped)
- 2 springs of fresh rosemary or Italian flat leaf parsley it’s cheap and yes, it makes a HUGE difference
- 1 TBSP EVOO
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 C fresh grated Parmesan cheese (optional…clearly leave it out if you’re dairy free)
- Cook quinoa following normal method: Boil water, add quinoa, return to boil, reduce heat, simmer until little halos form around the quinoa grains.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Line baking sheet with tin foil and curl up sides (or cook in a shallow baking dish)
- Toss tomatoes, garlic and rosemary in EVOO; add salt and pepper to taste.
Mmm… looks so tasty right!?
- Bake for approx 30min or until the tomatoes begin to burst, give up their juices. (I like to turn on the broiler after they burst to get a nice char on them too!)
- Mix tomatoes and all of that juicy goodness into your cooked quinoa, add cheese, stir and enjoy!
I eat mine on Romaine lettuce leaves like as a sort of non-traditional lunch time lettuce wrap. ENJOY!