I’ve been severely slacking on my postings, but I’m full of thankfulness, love, and cake this lovely Thursday afternoon thanks to my wonderful co-workers’ despedido…Today is my last full day of work with the lovely people at my non-profit property management job, and it’s a bittersweet goodbye as I move onward ho to grad school. Bittersweet goodbye softened by some sweets!
Seriously the cake was delicioso! Gluten-free? Not so much, but when people buy you cake (and pizza… I confess lunch=pizza+cake) it means they love you… so eat the cake… say your sorry to your digestive system later 🙂
It also means that this WOD needs to happen before spin tonight…
2 rounds as close together as you can of:
Tonight is also my last cycle class with the lovely spinners at LA Fitness in Arlington, VA. I LOVE teaching spin… seeing my students get (in the ubiquitous words of Kanye) better, strong, faster!
So, I made them a special goodbye playlist…
Sayonara Sara Spin List
- Rabiosa- Shakira feat Pitbull (2:50) -warm up fast flat
- More (RedOne Jimmy Joker Remix)- Usher (3:40) -warm up alternating 30sec in the saddle then 30 sec out
- Que Sera- Wax Tailor (2:44) -stretch
- Let’s Go- Calvin Harris feat Ne-Yo (3:46) -Climb <—fave cycle song to date!
- Work It Out- Lil Jon feat Pitbull (3:44) -Jump
- Work Hard, Play Hard- Wiz Khalifa (3:39) -Hill… mainly because Wiz is from the burgh!
- Halo/Walking on Sunshine- Glee Cast Version (2:05) -Sprint
- Club Can’t Handle Me- Flo Ride feat David Guetta (3:52) -Climb
- Bang Bang- K’naan feat Adam Levine (3:03) -Jumps… fast jumps!
- No Hands- Waka Flocka Flame (4:22)- Hill… I shouldn’t love this song, but I DO SO MUCH!
- 50 Ways to Say Goodbye- Train (4:08)- Sprint
- Blurred Lines- Robin Thicke feat T.I & Pharrell (4:23)- Climb
- Sexy and I Know It- LMFAO (3:19)- Jumps
- Man in the Box- Alice in Chains (4:49)- Hill
- All Jacked Up- Gretchen Wilson (3:32)-Out of the saddle Sprints… I can’t let them get away without playing a little bit of country in there somewhere… Yes, you can workout to it!
- Harlem Shake- Baauer (3:16)- Fast flat!
- Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye- Steam (4:09) Cool down
- Don’t Stop Believin’ -Journey (4:09)… Goodbye music… and the unofficial anthem of Pittsburgh
And of course I’ll play a little Hall and Oates Ode to Sara(h)’s everywhere…
Well, spring has finally sprung in DC and that seems to bring on a slew of new things to love… enjoyable outside runs (let’s be honest… no one likes running in the winter), fresh spring recipes, and a slew of friends’ birthdays (and weddings…BEWARE wedding season is coming)
This past week (after a great weekend celebrating my wonderful friend Jhonna’s birthday on Sunday and also getting in a 11mile run) I went to an outdoor carnival and then enjoyed a free Happy Half-Birthday treat from Rita’s Italian Ice (quite possible the best dairy-free sweet treat option out there!) If you haven’t had Rita’s… fine one… fast!
We rode the Ferris wheel, the bumper cars, and enjoyed the beautiful weather! It was a great night out! But, I realized I only have 6 more months to complete my 2013 Bucket List:
- Make Julia Child’s Boeuf Bourguignon
- Go sailing (not just sit on a sail boat… actually sail)
- Do 1 unassisted pull up #yesican
- Climb Old Rag
- Go to Frank Lloyd Wright’s Fallingwater (how have I never been there!)
Then just last night we celebrated another friend’s birthday with this beautiful #glutenfree chocolatey goodness…
#Glutenfree Black Bean Cake
I made two batched of the following recipe to get two cakes. Made a butter cream filling (1 stick butter with powdered sugar and some milk drizzled in) and put some sliced strawberries in the middle with it (but I think it would be amazing with bananas and coconut on top!). Then, I topped it all with powdered sugar and viola… a healthier, gluten-free version of a chocolate cake. It’s very moist and fudgey and wonderful… go make it… like NOW (well after you finish reading this)
- 1 15oz can of black beans
- 5 eggs
- 1/2C sugar (next time I make it I’m going to try and take all of the sugar out 🙂
- 1 TBSP vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 TBSP cocoa powder (I mixed 1/2 regular with 1/2 dark choc)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Preheat over to 350*
- Grease a 9″ cake pan and then “flour” it with some cocoa powder
- Drain and rinse black beans.
- Put beans, eggs, sugar and vanilla in food processor and whir whir whir until it’s all liquified.
- If your food processor is big enough you can add the remaining ingredients and blend until incorporated. If not (like me), mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl, add the wet, stir and then pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes. Until the top springs back when you touch it. Be careful not to overbake it!
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes in the pan on a wire rack.
- Flip out of pan and allow to cool completely before topping, stacking, frosting, or whatever deliciousness you have planned for this amazing cake.
Today I’m planning on baking/cooking up a storm in the kitchen today so get ready for some more recipes 😀 And then it’s onto a 15K run to prep for my Pittsburgh half-marathon! 3 weeks and counting and then May #crossfit membership starts (whoop whoop!)
Planning anything fun this weekend?