It’s been a long long time since I’ve written anything. Although I did write a few guest posts on the UPMC Health Matters Blog!
Check ’em Out!
Simple Red Smoothie Recipe
3 Quick & Healthy Breakfast Ideas
Now that my internship at UPMC and grad school is winding down, I thought it was high time that I get back into the swing of things. What better way than to share something exciting!
This coming weekend I’ll be attending the NIRSA (National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association) Region 1 Fitness Expo in New Jersey, and I’ll be presenting! 😮
I submitted a proposal to teach a class on HIIT (high intensity interval training) cycling, and it was accepted. So, yours truly will be leading some fellow health and fitness professionals in the Northeast Region through an intense HIIT class on Sunday! Whoop whoop!
So, I wanted to share the info I created for it. Enjoy and if you replicate it or share it give credit where credit’s due por favor 🙂
It’s TUESDAY! That means it’s back to teaching cycle tonight, and Tuesdays are usually pretty tough classes because the week hasn’t worn anyone out yet. And, I realized I haven’t shared a #spinning playlist in awhile!
This is a simple climb, jump, hill, sprint loop that repeats 3 times, the catch is that each song gets progressively steeper until you reach the top of the hill song, then the weight comes off (not all the weight!) and we’re on a fast flat road.
I always start my students off by finding a “comfortable flat road” by pushing at least 6-10 gears onto their bikes (we have Keiser M+ Series bikes with computers on them, but that would mean knob at least 1/4 way up on a similar flywheel bike or 1-2 full turns on a Spinner bike). No weight=No work and we are there to “workout” right?
The “loops” are each a different color…
- Mama Said Knock You Out- LL Cool J (4:52) warm up song
- Back in the Saddle- Aerosmith (4:40) First climb, still warming up & then simple stretching
- In the Ayer- Flo Rida (3:40) Jumps: 1min of 8 counts, 1min of 4 counts, 30sec of 2 counts, 30sec rest, back to 30sec of 2 counts
- The Way you Move- Outkast (3:54) Stretch and then head up the first hill of the class pushing on a few gears before standing…add 2 throughout song
- How Far We’ve Come- Matchbox 20 (3:30) Seated fast flat (2-3 gears heavier than “flat” for experienced) keeping RPM above 100 for a full 3min
- American Boy- Estelle feat Kanye West (3:57) Climb, out of the saddle with some surges (80% of speed) on the chorus, add a gear after each surge…keep the weight!
- Don’t Cha- Pussycats Dolls (4:33) 4position, 4count jumps (positions: climb, squat, run, sit…4 counts each)
- Flower- Moby (3:23) Hill time…this time seated, drop those heels and start pushing, add 1 on as each minute ticks by
- Pump It- Black Eyed Peas (3:33) Sprints! Back to our flat…30seconds on, 30 seconds off
- Nothin’ But a Good Time- Poison (3:44) Climb, come on up outta the saddle and we’re back to those surges! Adding one after each set.
- We Run the Night- Havana Brown feat Pitbull (3:48) Hold that weight (or add a few) 4count Squat Jumps
- Beggin’- Madon (I LOVE THIS SONG!) (3:38) 30sec in the saddle 30 second standing ahead of the beat
- Smells Like Teen Spirit- Nirvana (5:01) Our Hill continues…flip the work 30 sec seated ahead of the beat, 30 second standing at the beat
- Beware- Panjabi MC feat Jay-Z (3:59) Keep that heart rate soaring! Fast flat all the way out
- Right Here- Justin Bieber feat Drake (3:24) Cool down, stretch
My other fave right now (and possibly forever) is Let’s Go by Calvin Harris…click to enjoy
What’s your favorite workout song right now?