It’s been a long long time since I’ve written anything. Although I did write a few guest posts on the UPMC Health Matters Blog!
Check ’em Out!
Simple Red Smoothie Recipe
3 Quick & Healthy Breakfast Ideas
Now that my internship at UPMC and grad school is winding down, I thought it was high time that I get back into the swing of things. What better way than to share something exciting!
This coming weekend I’ll be attending the NIRSA (National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association) Region 1 Fitness Expo in New Jersey, and I’ll be presenting! 😮
I submitted a proposal to teach a class on HIIT (high intensity interval training) cycling, and it was accepted. So, yours truly will be leading some fellow health and fitness professionals in the Northeast Region through an intense HIIT class on Sunday! Whoop whoop!
So, I wanted to share the info I created for it. Enjoy and if you replicate it or share it give credit where credit’s due por favor 🙂
I’ve been severely slacking on my postings, but I’m full of thankfulness, love, and cake this lovely Thursday afternoon thanks to my wonderful co-workers’ despedido…Today is my last full day of work with the lovely people at my non-profit property management job, and it’s a bittersweet goodbye as I move onward ho to grad school. Bittersweet goodbye softened by some sweets!
Seriously the cake was delicioso! Gluten-free? Not so much, but when people buy you cake (and pizza… I confess lunch=pizza+cake) it means they love you… so eat the cake… say your sorry to your digestive system later 🙂
It also means that this WOD needs to happen before spin tonight…
2 rounds as close together as you can of:
Tonight is also my last cycle class with the lovely spinners at LA Fitness in Arlington, VA. I LOVE teaching spin… seeing my students get (in the ubiquitous words of Kanye) better, strong, faster!
So, I made them a special goodbye playlist…
Sayonara Sara Spin List
- Rabiosa- Shakira feat Pitbull (2:50) -warm up fast flat
- More (RedOne Jimmy Joker Remix)- Usher (3:40) -warm up alternating 30sec in the saddle then 30 sec out
- Que Sera- Wax Tailor (2:44) -stretch
- Let’s Go- Calvin Harris feat Ne-Yo (3:46) -Climb <—fave cycle song to date!
- Work It Out- Lil Jon feat Pitbull (3:44) -Jump
- Work Hard, Play Hard- Wiz Khalifa (3:39) -Hill… mainly because Wiz is from the burgh!
- Halo/Walking on Sunshine- Glee Cast Version (2:05) -Sprint
- Club Can’t Handle Me- Flo Ride feat David Guetta (3:52) -Climb
- Bang Bang- K’naan feat Adam Levine (3:03) -Jumps… fast jumps!
- No Hands- Waka Flocka Flame (4:22)- Hill… I shouldn’t love this song, but I DO SO MUCH!
- 50 Ways to Say Goodbye- Train (4:08)- Sprint
- Blurred Lines- Robin Thicke feat T.I & Pharrell (4:23)- Climb
- Sexy and I Know It- LMFAO (3:19)- Jumps
- Man in the Box- Alice in Chains (4:49)- Hill
- All Jacked Up- Gretchen Wilson (3:32)-Out of the saddle Sprints… I can’t let them get away without playing a little bit of country in there somewhere… Yes, you can workout to it!
- Harlem Shake- Baauer (3:16)- Fast flat!
- Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye- Steam (4:09) Cool down
- Don’t Stop Believin’ -Journey (4:09)… Goodbye music… and the unofficial anthem of Pittsburgh
And of course I’ll play a little Hall and Oates Ode to Sara(h)’s everywhere…
Happy Wednesday! I hope you all had a very relaxing Memorial Day! The past two years I’ve spent the holiday relaxing with my friends at Myrtle Beach, but this year I stuck around DC and went to North Beach, MD to catch some sand and sun (I promise there was actually some sun… I got a little sunburn to prove it)!
But Saturday may have been my official kick-off to summer with a little afternoon 5 mile run with a friend and then a night out for some seafood and fun at Tim’s Rivershore in Virginia with some lovely people…
They had a pig roast and a bonfire going, and (as always) some live music and tons of sweet outdoorsy ambiance. If you haven’t been there…GO!
PLUS we got to see a moonrise! This picture doesn’t even begin to do it justice, but the moon came up over the water just like a sunrise…it was amazing!
And… I finished my last crossfit foundation course, which graduates me to make a fool of myself in regular classes now! Yippee! #Iwill do one unassisted pull-up by the time this whole crossfit thing is over!
I also made a few new playlists including this gem… that features one of my new guilty pleasure spin songs…
It’s a simple climb, jump, hill, sprint loop repeated 4 times, use the first one as a warm up and then stretch…I told my student to make the middle two loops their hardest of class, and then the last loop is the beginning of a cool down, but still working.
Have any guilty pleasure workout songs?
It’s TUESDAY! That means it’s back to teaching cycle tonight, and Tuesdays are usually pretty tough classes because the week hasn’t worn anyone out yet. And, I realized I haven’t shared a #spinning playlist in awhile!
This is a simple climb, jump, hill, sprint loop that repeats 3 times, the catch is that each song gets progressively steeper until you reach the top of the hill song, then the weight comes off (not all the weight!) and we’re on a fast flat road.
I always start my students off by finding a “comfortable flat road” by pushing at least 6-10 gears onto their bikes (we have Keiser M+ Series bikes with computers on them, but that would mean knob at least 1/4 way up on a similar flywheel bike or 1-2 full turns on a Spinner bike). No weight=No work and we are there to “workout” right?
The “loops” are each a different color…
- Mama Said Knock You Out- LL Cool J (4:52) warm up song
- Back in the Saddle- Aerosmith (4:40) First climb, still warming up & then simple stretching
- In the Ayer- Flo Rida (3:40) Jumps: 1min of 8 counts, 1min of 4 counts, 30sec of 2 counts, 30sec rest, back to 30sec of 2 counts
- The Way you Move- Outkast (3:54) Stretch and then head up the first hill of the class pushing on a few gears before standing…add 2 throughout song
- How Far We’ve Come- Matchbox 20 (3:30) Seated fast flat (2-3 gears heavier than “flat” for experienced) keeping RPM above 100 for a full 3min
- American Boy- Estelle feat Kanye West (3:57) Climb, out of the saddle with some surges (80% of speed) on the chorus, add a gear after each surge…keep the weight!
- Don’t Cha- Pussycats Dolls (4:33) 4position, 4count jumps (positions: climb, squat, run, sit…4 counts each)
- Flower- Moby (3:23) Hill time…this time seated, drop those heels and start pushing, add 1 on as each minute ticks by
- Pump It- Black Eyed Peas (3:33) Sprints! Back to our flat…30seconds on, 30 seconds off
- Nothin’ But a Good Time- Poison (3:44) Climb, come on up outta the saddle and we’re back to those surges! Adding one after each set.
- We Run the Night- Havana Brown feat Pitbull (3:48) Hold that weight (or add a few) 4count Squat Jumps
- Beggin’- Madon (I LOVE THIS SONG!) (3:38) 30sec in the saddle 30 second standing ahead of the beat
- Smells Like Teen Spirit- Nirvana (5:01) Our Hill continues…flip the work 30 sec seated ahead of the beat, 30 second standing at the beat
- Beware- Panjabi MC feat Jay-Z (3:59) Keep that heart rate soaring! Fast flat all the way out
- Right Here- Justin Bieber feat Drake (3:24) Cool down, stretch
My other fave right now (and possibly forever) is Let’s Go by Calvin Harris…click to enjoy
What’s your favorite workout song right now?